Wetton, a village and a parish in Staffordshire. The village lies on the river Manifold, 7½ miles NW by N of Ashborne. It has a post and money order office under Ashborne; telegraph office, Hartington. The parish includes also the hamlet of Ecton, and comprises 2630 acres; population, 308. The course of the Manifold here is partly subterranean. A limestone cliff rises over it near Ecton, and is pierced with a ramified cavern about 130 feet long. Limestone partly variegated and partly of marble quality is quarried. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £175 with residence. The church, with the exception of the tower, was rebuilt in 1820, and restored in 1895. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wetton St. Margaret|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wetton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Wetton (St. Margaret))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Wetton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online:
- Staffordshire Advertiser
- Tamworth Herald
- Lichfield Mercury
- Staffordshire Sentinel
- Wolverhampton Chronicle and Staffordshire Advertiser