Weston on Trent, Staffordshire
Weston-on-Trent, a village and a parish in Staffordshire. The village stands on the Trent and Mersey Canal, 4½ miles NE of Stafford, with a station (Weston) on the North Staffordshire railway, and another (Ingestre and Weston) on the G.N. R. It has a post and money order office under Stafford; telegraph office, Ingestre railway station. The parish includes also the hamlet of Shirleywich. Acreage, 831; population, 453. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor belongs to Earl Ferrers. There are extensive saltworks. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £193 with residence. The church is ancient, and was restored and enlarged in 1872.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Stafford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Weston on Trent from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Weston-Upon-Trent)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online:
- Staffordshire Advertiser
- Tamworth Herald
- Lichfield Mercury
- Staffordshire Sentinel
- Wolverhampton Chronicle and Staffordshire Advertiser