Audlem, a market-town, a township, and a parish in Cheshire. The town is 6 miles S of Nantwich, and has a station on the Crewe and Wellington branch of the G.W.R., a post office under Nantwich, and two banks. Acreage, 2348; population, 1371. There is a market on Thursdays. The parish includes also the townships of Buerton, Hankelow, and Titley (or Tittenley), with parts of Dodcot-cum-Wilkeley and Newhall. Population, 2410. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester; net value, £297. Patron, Viscount Com-bermere. The church is ancient, and was restored in 1885. There are chapels for Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists. The parish is purely agricultural.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Audlem St. James|
|Poor Law union||Nantwich|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Audlem from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Audlem (St. James))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Audlem are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.