Weston under Lizard, Staffordshire
Weston-under-Lizard, a village and a parish in Staffordshire. The village stands on the borders of Salop, on Watling Street, under Lizard Hill, 5 miles NE of Shifnal. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Shifnal. The parish comprises 2438 acres; population, 316. There is a parish council consisting of six members. The manor, with Weston Park, belongs to the Earl of Bradford. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield; gross value, £254 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Bradford. The church is Early English and Decorated, and was restored in 1701 and 1876. It contains altar-tombs of the De Westons, and monuments of the Bridgeman family. Almshouses were built in 1874 by the Countess of Bradford.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Weston-Under-Lizard St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Shiffnall|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Weston under Lizard from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Weston-Under-Lizard (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Weston under Lizard are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: