Weeford, a village, a township, and a parish in Staffordshire. The village stands on Watling Street, 2½ miles E of Shenstone station on the L. & N.W.R., 4 SSE of Lichfield, and 4 W of Tamworth. Post town, Lichfield. The township comprises 2545 acres; population, 213. The parish includes also the townships of Swinfen and Packington. Acreage, 4626; population, 417. The manor belongs to the Marquis of Anglesey. Swinfen Hall, Packington Hall, and Manley Hall are the chief residences. Offlow Barrow, which gives name to Offlow Hundred, is here. The living is a rectory, united with Hints, in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £307 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church is good.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Weeford St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Lichfield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Weeford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Weeford (St. Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Weeford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online:
- Staffordshire Advertiser
- Tamworth Herald
- Lichfield Mercury
- Staffordshire Sentinel
- Wolverhampton Chronicle and Staffordshire Advertiser
Villages, Hamlets, &cPackington
Swinfen and Packington