Waterfall, a village and a parish in Staffordshire, 5 miles NE of Froghall station on the North Staffordshire railway, and 7 SE of Leek. The parish includes also part of the village of Waterhouses and the hamlet of Winkhill, the former having a post and money order office under Ashborne; telegraph office, Oakamoor. Acreage, 1635; population of the civil parish, 354; of the ecclesiastical, 429. There are colour, corn, and leather-board mills. The living is a vicarage, annexed to that of Cauldon. The church is Norman, and was partly rebuilt in 1890. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel at Waterhouses, and a Wesleyan chapel at Winkhill.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Waterfall St. James|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Waterfall from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Waterfall (St. James))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Waterfall are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online:
- Staffordshire Advertiser
- Tamworth Herald
- Lichfield Mercury
- Staffordshire Sentinel
- Wolverhampton Chronicle and Staffordshire Advertiser
Villages, Hamlets, &cWaterhouses