Trentham, a village, a township, and a parish in Staffordshire. The village stands on the river Trent, 3 miles SSW of Stoke-upon-Trent, and gives the title of Viscount to the Duke of Sutherland. It has a station about a mile E on the North Staffordshire railway, and a post, money order,. and telegraph office under Stoke-upon-Trent. The township includes the village, and extends into the country. The parish includes also the townships of Burton, Butterton, Clayton Griffith, Hanchurch, and Hanford. Acreage, 7317 of land and 128 of water; population of the civil parish, 10,219; of the ecclesiastical, 849. There is a parish council consisting of eleven members. The parish includes the ecclesiastical parishes of Dresden, Hanford, and parts of those of Burton, Butterton, Normacott, and Silverdale. Trentham Hall is the seat of the Duke of Sutherland, was altered by Barry into a splendid pile, with rich architectural decorations in the Italian style, has finely wooded grounds laid out by " Capability" Brown, and containing a lake and a mausoleum. A nunnery was founded at Trentham before 683 by one of the Saxon kings, and an Augustinian priory superseded it in the time of Henry I., and was given at the dissolution to the Brandons. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £202 with residence. Patron, the Duke of Sutherland. The church is Early English, and was-completely restored in 1844 by the second Duke of Sutherland. It contains a beautifully carved oak screen and monuments to the Leveson family, including one of 1868 to the Duchess of Sutherland, Mistress of the Robes.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Trentham St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Stone|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Trentham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Trentham (St. Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Trentham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online:
- Staffordshire Advertiser
- Tamworth Herald
- Lichfield Mercury
- Staffordshire Sentinel
- Wolverhampton Chronicle and Staffordshire Advertiser
Villages, Hamlets, &cButterton (Trentham)