Tixall, a parish, with a village, in Staffordshire, 1 mile N of Milford station on the Trent Valley section of the L. & N.W.R., 3 miles NW of Colwich, and 4 E by S of Stafford. It has a post office under Stafford; money order and telegraph office, Milford. Acreage, 2369; population, 212. The manor belongs to the Earl of Shrewsbury and Talbot. Tixall Hall was the ancient seat of the Aston family. The present mansion was rebuilt about 1780. Only the gateway remains of the former mansion, a noble Elizabethan edifice, in which Mary Queen of Scots was confined for a short time. The park is extensive, and the grounds were laid out by " Capability" Browne. Excellent stone is quarried. Two barrows are on Tixall Heath. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £182 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Shrewsbury and Talbot. The church was rebuilt in 1772, and again in 1849.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Tixall St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Stafford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tixall from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Tixall (St. John the Baptist))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Tixall are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: