Thorpe Constantine, Staffordshire
Thorpe Constantine, a village and a parish in Staffordshire, 5 miles NE of Tamworth. Post town and telegraph office, Tamworth; money order office, Newton. Acreage, 061; population, 87. Thorpe Hall is the chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £400. The church is ancient, and has a lofty spire. It was restored in 1883.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Thorpe-Constantine St. Constantine|
|Poor Law union||Tamworth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Thorpe Constantine from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Thorpe-Constantine (St. Constantine))
- Staffordshire and Warwickshire, Past and Present, 1884
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Thorpe Constantine are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: