Swynnerton or Swinnerton, Staffordshire
Swynnerton or Swinnerton, a village and a parish in Staffordshire. The village stands 2 miles E by N of Standon Bridge station on the L. & N.W.R., and 4 NW by W of Stone. It was once a market-town, and has a post office under Stone; money order and telegraph office, Stone. The parish includes the village and township of Yarnfield, the hamlets of Shelton and Hatton, and part of the township of Beech. Acreage, 6481; population of the civil parish, 880; of the ecclesiastical, 674. The manor belonged anciently to the Swinnertons, and went in the time of Henry VIII. to the Fitzherberts. Swynnerton Park, a handsome stone mansion, is the seat of the Fitzherbert family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield; gross value, £925 with residence. The church is chiefly Decorated, with portions of Norman and Early English work, and has been restored. There is a Roman Catholic chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Swinnerton St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Stone|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Swynnerton or Swinnerton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Swinnerton (St. Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online:
- Staffordshire Advertiser
- Tamworth Herald
- Lichfield Mercury
- Staffordshire Sentinel
- Wolverhampton Chronicle and Staffordshire Advertiser
Villages, Hamlets, &cHatton
Shelton or Shelton under Harley