UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Stretton (Burton upon Trent), Staffordshire

Historical Description

Stretton, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Burton-upon-Trent parish, Staffordshire. The township lies on the rivers Dove and Trent, 2 miles N by W of Burton-upon-Trent. It has a post and money order office under Burton-upon-Trent; telegraph office, Horninglow. Acreage of the township, 1247; population, 825. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The ecclesiastical parish is called Stretton-with-Wetmoor, and was constituted in 1874. Population, 1381. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; gross value, £167 with residence. The church is a small plain edifice. A magnificent church was erected in 1895-96 at a cost of nearly £20,000, borne entirely by Mr John Guelton of Burton-on-Trent and Sudbury Hall. There is a Free Methodist chapel. There are ironworks at Dove Cliff.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyStaffordshire 
Civil parishBurton upon Trent 
HundredOfflow 
Poor Law unionBurton-upon-Trent 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Stretton (Burton upon Trent) from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Stretton (Burton upon Trent) are available from a number of sites:

DistrictEast Staffordshire
CountyStaffordshire
RegionWest Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtDE13
Post TownBurton-On-Trent

Advertisement

Advertisement