UK Genealogy Archives logo

Stowe or Stowe by Chartley, Staffordshire

Historical Description

Stowe or Stowe-by-Chartley, a village and a parish in Staffordshire, 7 miles ENE of Stafford, with a station, called Chartley and Stowe, on the G.N.R. Post town, Stafford; money order office, Weston; telegraph office, Chartley railway station. The parish includes the hamlets of Grindley and Amerton, the village of Drointon, and part of the ecclesiastical parish of Hixon. Acreage, 5363; population of the civil parish, 880; of the ecclesiastical, 441. There is a parish council for Stowe and Hixon, each parish returning four members. The ecclesiastical parish includes the parish of Chartley holme, formerly extra-parochial, with Chartley Hall, the seat of Earl Ferrers, to whom the manor belongs. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £180. The church is of various dates, partly Norman and Early English, and contains a fine altar-tomb to Walter Devereux, first Viscount Hereford, and a brass to Sir Thomas Newport, steward to the Earl of Essex, the favourite of Queen Elizabeth. An ancient cross in the churchyard was restored in 1879. The chancel was restored in 1866, and the church was restored and enlarged in 1879.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyStaffordshire 
Ecclesiastical parishStowe St. John the Baptist 
HundredPirehill 
Poor Law unionStafford 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Findmypast, in association with the Staffordshire & Stoke on Trent Archive Service have the Baptisms, Banns, Marriages, and Burials online for Stowe or Stowe by Chartley


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Stowe or Stowe by Chartley from the following:


Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online:


Villages, Hamlets, &c

Amerton
Grindley