Standon, a parish, with a village, in Staffordshire, on the river Sow, 4 miles NNW of Eccleshall. It has a station, called Standon Bridge, on the Stafford and Crewe section of the L. & N.W.R., and a post and money order office under Eccleshall; telegraph office, Eccleshall. Acreage, 2620; population, 404. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield; gross value, £474 with residence. The church, with the exception of the tower, was rebuilt in 1846; it contains some ancient monuments. There is an industrial home for 90 boys under the Church of England Waif and Stray Society.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Standon All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Stone|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Standon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Standon (All Saints))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Standon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: