Sheen, a village and a parish in Staffordshire. The village lies on the river Dove, on the borders of Derbyshire, 3 miles SE of Longnor and 9 NW of Leek. It is embosomed in trees, and has a 15th-century cross, which has been restored. It has a post office under Ashbourne; money order and telegraph office, Hartington. The parish comprises 2893 acres; population, 364. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. From the summit of Sheen Hill a beautiful view of the surrounding country is obtained. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £363 with residence. The church, schools, and vicarage were rebuilt by the late Right Hon. A. J. B. Beresford Hope. There 13 a Wesleyan chapel.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sheen from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Sheen)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Sheen are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online:
- Staffordshire Advertiser
- Tamworth Herald
- Lichfield Mercury
- Staffordshire Sentinel
- Wolverhampton Chronicle and Staffordshire Advertiser