Shareshill, a township and a parish in Staffordshire. The township lies 3 miles SE of Four Ashes station on the L. & N.W.R., and 5½ NNE of Wolverhampton, and has a post office under Wolverhampton; money order and telegraph office, Cannock. Acreage, 889; population, 350. There is a parish council consisting of seven members and a chairman. The parish includes also the township of Saredon (which has only a parish meeting), and comprises 2827 acres; population, 619. There are remains of two ancient camps. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £200. Patron, Lord Hatherton. The church was rebuilt in 1748, with the exception of the tower, which is of the Decorated period.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Shareshill The Virgin Mary|
|Poor Law union||Penkridge|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Shareshill from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Shareshill (The Virgin Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Shareshill are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online:
- Staffordshire Advertiser
- Tamworth Herald
- Lichfield Mercury
- Staffordshire Sentinel
- Wolverhampton Chronicle and Staffordshire Advertiser