Seighford, a village and a parish in Staffordshire. The village stands 1¼ mile S of Great Bridgeford station on the L. & N.W.R. and 3 miles W by N of Stafford. It has a post office under Stafford; money order and telegraph office, Stafford. The parish comprises 4741 acres; population, 793. It includes Great and Little Bridgeford, Derrington. Colon Clanford, Doxey, and Aston. There is a parish council consisting of eight members and a chairman. Seighford Hall is an ancient mansion situated in a well-wooded park. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £117 with residence. The church is chiefly Norman, and contains a large marble altar-tomb of 1593 for Sir William Bowyer and his wife.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Seighford St. Chad|
|Poor Law union||Stafford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Seighford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Seighford (St. Chad))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Seighford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online:
- Staffordshire Advertiser
- Tamworth Herald
- Lichfield Mercury
- Staffordshire Sentinel
- Wolverhampton Chronicle and Staffordshire Advertiser
Villages, Hamlets, &cCoton Clanford
Great and Little Bridgeford