Salt, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Stafford St Mary and St Chad parish, Staffordshire. The village stands on the river Trent, 4 miles ENE of Stafford, and has a station on the Stafford and Uttoxeter section of the G.N.R., and a post office under Stafford; money order office, Sandon; telegraph office, at the railway station. The township includes the hamlet of Enson. Acreage, 1609; population, 416. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1844, and includes the village of Hopton. Population, 709. For parish council purposes Salt is joined with Enson, and has a parish council consisting of seven members, and for the same purpose Hopton is joined with Coton-a township in the parish of St Mary-and has a parish council of seven members. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £176 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Shrewsbury and Talbot. The church was built in 1842, and is in the Early English style. There was a Norman font formerly in the churchyard, but it is now used in the church. A New Connexion Methodist chapel is at Enson, and there is a mission chapel in connection with the parish church at Hopton.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Salt are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: