Rushton, two townships and an ecclesiastical parish in Leek parish, Staffordshire. The townships are Rushton James and Rushton Spencer. They adjoin each other, and the latter lies near the river Dane, 5 miles NNW of Leek, and has a station on the North Staffordshire railway and a post office under Macclesfield; money order and telegraph office, Leek. Acreage of Rushton James, 1390; population, 242; of Rushton Spencer, 1860; population, 339. Rnshton Spencer includes the hamlet of Rushton Marsh. The ecclesiastical parish includes also the township of Heaton. Population, 952. Rushton Spencer and Heaton have each a parish council of seven members. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £150. Patron, the Vicar of Leek. The church, which is situated at Rushton Spencer, is very old, and was formerly called " the chapel in the wilderness." It was built about the time of Henry III., almost entirely of wood, and is perched on the summit of a steep elevation near the village, and screened by noble old black firs and yew trees. The present church is a stone building, with inside pillars of oak. Over the piers oa the N side of the nave, and cut in oak, are six dog-teeth, which an antiquarian says are the oldest woodwork he has. ever seen. They can be seen all over England in stone. The church contains a massive stone font. There are Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Rushton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Rushton-Spencer)
Online maps of Rushton are available from a number of sites: