Rudyard, a township in Leek parish, Staffordshire, 2½ miles NW of Leek. It has a station on the North Staffordshire railway, and a post office under Leek; money order and telegraph office, Leek. Acreage, 1366 of land and 69 of water; population, 75. The manor belongs to the Earl of Macclesfield. Eudyard Lake, partly in this parish, is a reservoir of the Cauldon Canal, and is 2 miles long, and from 200 to 300 feet wide. Eudyard Hall, now a farmhouse, was the residence of Sir Benjamin Eudyard, a member of the Long Parliament and an accomplished scholar and wit.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Rudyard from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Rudyard)
Online maps of Rudyard are available from a number of sites: