Rolleston, a village, a township, and a parish in Staffordshire. The village lies on the verge of the county, near the river Dove, 1½ mile S by W of Tutbury station on the North Staffordshire railway, and 3 miles NW by N of Burton-on-Trent, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Burton-on-Trent. The township comprises 2224 acres; population, 798. The parish contains also the township of Anslow, and comprises 3788 acres; population of the civil parish, 1200; of the ecclesiastical, 593. There is a parish council consisting of seven members and a chairman. The civil parish contains parts of the ecclesiastical parishes of Anslow and Rangemore. Rolleston Hall and freehold estate had been in the possession of the family of Rolleston for upwards of four centuries. They were purchased from that family by Sir Edward Mosley about the year 1614, when he was promoted to the office of attorney-general for the Duchy of Lancaster. Sir Edward subsequently bought the manor, with the copyholds, court baron, and other appendages, from the trustees of Lord Viscount Mandeville, to whom they had been granted by the Crown. The Hall was rebuilt, after having been greatly damaged by fire in 1871, and is a handsome mansion situated in a well-wooded park of 300 acres. East Lodge and Craythorne are other chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £425 with residence. The church is mainly of the Decorated period, but has a Norman door, and contains monuments of The Eolleston and Mosley families. It was restored in 1884. There are almshouses and a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Rolleston St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Burton-upon-Trent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Rolleston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Rolleston (St. Mary))
- Staffordshire and Warwickshire, Past and Present, 1884
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: