Ranton, Renton, Raunton, or Ronton ("clearing in the parish"), a parish in Staffordshire, on an affluent of the river Sowe, 2 miles N by W of Haughton station on the L. & N.W.R., and 5 W by N of Stafford. It contains the hamlet of Long Compton, and its post town is Eccleshall; money order and telegraph office, Gnosall. Acreage, 1843; population, 249. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £92 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Lichfield. The church is ancient, and has been restored.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online:
- Staffordshire Advertiser
- Tamworth Herald
- Lichfield Mercury
- Staffordshire Sentinel
- Wolverhampton Chronicle and Staffordshire Advertiser
Villages, Hamlets, &cLong Compton
Ranton Abbey or Ronton Abbey