Quarnford, a civil parish in Staffordshire, adjacent to Derbyshire and Cheshire, 5 miles SSW of Buxton. It contains the village of Quarnford (Flash), and its post town is Buxton. Acreage, 3141; population, 343. The ecclesiastical parish dates from 1744, and includes the village and township of Hollinsclough. Population, 651. There is a parish council for Quarnford consisting of seven members, and another for Hollinsclough of eight members. The manor belongs to the baronet family of Crewe. A silk mill was formerly at Gradbach, but is disused. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; gross value, .6200 with residence. The church, at Quarnford, is of moderate size, and was erected in 1744. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Leek|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Quarnford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Quarnford)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: