Perry Barr, Staffordshire
Perry Barr, formerly a hamlet in Handsworth parish, Staffordshire, but constituted a separate civil parish in 1894 by Order in Council. It lies on Icknield Street and the river Tame, adjacent to Warwickshire, 3 miles N of Birmingham, and has stations (Perry Barr and Great Barr) on the Birmingham, Walsall, and Wolverhampton section of the L. & N.W.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office (T.S.O.) under Birmingham. The literary and scientific institute includes reading-rooms, library, class-rooms, and lecture-hall, and at the back there is a recreation ground. The ecclesiastical parish contains also Perry village, and was constituted in 1862. Population, 3377. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. Perry Hall was rebuilt by the Hon. F. Gough in the Tudor style, and belongs now to The Gough-Calthorpe family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; gross value, £370. The church was built in 1833, and enlarged in 1890-94, is a fine cruciform structure with a tower. Christ Church was erected in 1862 as a chapel of ease. All Saints Church was erected in 1893 in the hamlet of Scott. There is a Wesleyan chapel. A Roman Catholic convent and orphanage are at Mary Vale.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||West Bromwich|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Perry Barr from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Perry-Bar)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online:
- Staffordshire Advertiser
- Tamworth Herald
- Lichfield Mercury
- Staffordshire Sentinel
- Wolverhampton Chronicle and Staffordshire Advertiser
Villages, Hamlets, &cOscott