Penn, a village and a parish in Staffordshire. The village stands 2½ miles SSW of Wolverhampton, and has a post office under Wolverhampton; money order and telegraph office, Wolverhampton. The parish comprises the townships of Upper and Lower Penn. Acreage, 1998 and 2005; population, 2667 and 274. There is a parish council consisting of eleven members, and four members are sent to the district council. A section of Upper Penn was constituted an ecclesiastical parish in 1859, under the name of St Philip, Penn Fields. Population, 1759. The head living (population, 1182) of St Bartholomew is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; gross value, £280. Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The living of St Philip is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £240 with residence. St Bartholomew's Church is ancient and has been several times restored. St Philip's Church was erected in 1859. There are a school church at Lower Penn, and a convalescent home at Upper Penu in connection with the Wolverhampton and Staffordshire Hospital.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Penn St. Bartholomew|
|Poor Law union||Seisdon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Penn from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Penn (St. Bartholomew))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: