Pelsall, a parish in Staffordshire, on the Wyrley Canal, 3 miles NNE of Walsall, with a station on the L. & N.W.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Walsall. Acreage, 12 63; population, 3364, There is a parish council consisting of eleven members. The ecclesiastical parish was formed in 1840. There are coal mines in the neighbourhood. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £290. Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church formerly belonged to the canons of Wolverhampton; it was rebuilt in 1844, and a new chancel was added in 1889. There are Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Walsall|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Pelsall from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Pelsall are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: