Patshull, a village and a parish in Staffordshire, adjacent to Salop, 3 miles S of Albrighton station on the G.W.R., and 8½ W by N of Wolverhampton. There is a post office at Burnhill Green, under Wolverhampton; money order and telegraph office, Pattingham. Acreage of parish, 1824; population, 234. The property, with Patshull Hall, belonged once to the Astleys, passed to the Pigots, and belongs now to the Earl of Dartmouth. The mansion is in the Italian style, and was enlarged in 1882. The park has an area of about 800 acres, and contains two lakes. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; gross value, £90. Patron, the Earl of Dartmouth. The church stands in Patshull Park, is in the Italian style, and was restored in 1874. A beautiful iron gilt chancel-screen was placed in the church in 1893 in memory of the fifth Earl of Dartmouth, and a peal of six bells was added to the tower in 1894. It contains monuments of the Astleys, and memorial windows to Bishops Lonsdale and Belwyn.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Patshull St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Shiffnall|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Patshull from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Patshull (St. Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online:
- Staffordshire Advertiser
- Tamworth Herald
- Lichfield Mercury
- Staffordshire Sentinel
- Wolverhampton Chronicle and Staffordshire Advertiser