Ashley, a township, a village, and a parish in Cheshire. The township lies near the river Bollin, 2½ miles S of Altrin-cham. It has a station on the Cheshire Lines railway, and a post office under Altrincham; money order and telegraph office, Peel Causeway, 2 miles distant. Acreage, 2263; population of the civil parish, 412; of the ecclesiastical, 616. Ashley Hall, the old manor house, now a farmhouse, is noted as the meeting-place of the Cheshire gentry in 1715, when the casting vote against participation in the Rebellion was given by Mr Assheton, the lord of the manor. Lord Egerton of Tatton is now lord of the manor. The parish was constituted in 1881. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester; value, £300. Patron, Lord Egerton of Tatton. The church was erected in 1880.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Altrincham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ashley from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Ashley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.