Ogley Hay, Staffordshire
Ogley Hay, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Staffordshire. The village stands on the Wyrley and Essington Canal, near Watling Street, and near the boundary with Warwickshire, 5 miles NE of Walsall, and 6 SE of Lichfield. The township, formerly extra-parochial, includes the village, and extends into the country. Acreage, 1063; population, 2478. There is a parish council consisting of twelve members. Traces of a Roman camp, called Knave's Castle, are to the N of the village. The ecclesiastical parish includes also parts of the parishes of St Michael, Lichfield, Norton Canes, Shenstone, and Walsall, and was constituted in 1853. Population, 5589. The village of Brownhills is the most populous portion of the parish. (See BROWNHILLS.) The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £300 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church, which was built in 1851, is a stone edifice with tower and low spire. There are also Congregational, Wesleyan, and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ogley Hay from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: