Oakamoor, an ecclesiastical parish in Alton, Cheadle, and Kingsley parishes, Staffordshire, on the river Churnet, 3 miles ENE of Cheadle. It has a station on the North Staffordshire railway, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Stoke-upon-Trent. There are brass and copper works where wire for electrical purposes is made. They employ about 500 men. The village is lighted by electricity. The Oakamoor Boys' Orphanage was erected in 1890, for orphan boys from the workhouses of Staffordshire. Moor Court, the Light Oaks (at one time the property of Lord Winmarleigh), The Lodge, and Wood Bank are chief residences. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1864. Population, 755. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; gross value, £262. Patron, the Rector of Cheadle. The church was erected m 1832. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel, and a Free Christian chapel belonging to works, called Oakamoor Mill Chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Cheadle|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Oakamoor from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Oakmoor, or Oakamoor)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Oakamoor are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: