UK Genealogy Archives logo

Norton Canes or Norton under Cannock, Staffordshire

Historical Description

Norton Canes or Norton-under-Cannock, a mining village and a parish in Staffordshire. The village stands adjacent to Watling Street, near the S side of Cannock Chase, 1½ mile E by S of Wyrley station on the Walsall and Stafford section of the L. & N.W.R., 2 miles NW of the Wyrley and Essington Canal, 3 WNW of Brownhills station on the Walsall and Derby section of the L. & N.W.R, and 6 N of Walsall, and has a post and money order office under Stafford; telegraph office, Bridgtown. There is a working-men's institute. The parish contains also the hamlet of Little Wyrley and part of Brownhills. Acreage, 4068; population of the civil parish, 4047; of the ecclesiastical, 2280. It sends three members to the Brownhills district council. Brownhills is included in the ecclesiastical parish of Ogley Hay. Norton Hall and Wyriey Grove are chief residences. Coal and ironstone abound, and the coal is extensively worked around Brownhills. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £254 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church, with the exception of the tower and outer walls, was burned down in Jan., 1888, but was rebuilt in the Early Decorated style and enlarged in the same year. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyStaffordshire 
Ecclesiastical parishNorton-Under-Cannock St. Margaret 
HundredOfflow 
Poor Law unionPenkridge 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Norton Canes or Norton under Cannock from the following:


Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online:


Villages, Hamlets, &c

Little Wyrley