Norbury, a village, a township, and a parish in Staffordshire. The village stands near the Shropshire Union Canal, 2¼ miles E of the boundary with Salop, 3 NW of Gnosall station on the L. & N.W.R., and 4 NE of Newport. It has a post and money order office under Newport; telegraph office, Gnosall. The township includes the hamlet of Oulton, and comprises 2102 acres; population, 236. The parish contains also the township of Weston Jones and the hamlet of Loynton. Acreage, 3361; population, 368. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £357 with residence. The church is of 13th century date, has a brick tower, was restored in 1885,and contains many ancient effigies.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Norbury St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Newport|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Norbury from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Norbury (St. Peter))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Norbury are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online:
- Staffordshire Advertiser
- Tamworth Herald
- Lichfield Mercury
- Staffordshire Sentinel
- Wolverhampton Chronicle and Staffordshire Advertiser
Villages, Hamlets, &cLoynton