Mayfield, a township and a parish on the E border of Staffordshire. The township lies on the river Dove, at the boundary with Derbyshire, 2 miles SW of Ashborne; includes the hamlets of Church Mayfield, Middle Mayfield, and Upper Mayfield; has a post, money order, and telegraph office, of the name of Mayfield, under Ashborne; and communicates across the Dove by Hanging Bridge, an ancient stone structure of five arches. Acreage, 1841; population of township, 1247; of ecclesiastical parish, 1317. The parish contains also the townships of Woodhouses, Butterton, and part of that of Calton. Mayfield Hall, Birdsgrove House, and Sunnyside are the chief residences. The poet Moore lived at Mayfield and wrote here "Lalla Rookh." Ancient coins, urns, traces of a Roman road, and other relics have been discovered, and there are two barrows. There is a cotton mill and a working-men's club with reading-room. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; gross value, £170 with residence. The church is partly Norman, and was restored in. 1856. The vicarages of Butterton and Calton are separate benefices. There is a Wesleyan chapel and a meeting-house for the Society of Friends.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Mayfield are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online:
- Staffordshire Advertiser
- Tamworth Herald
- Lichfield Mercury
- Staffordshire Sentinel
- Wolverhampton Chronicle and Staffordshire Advertiser
Villages, Hamlets, &cChurch Mayfield