Maer, a village and a parish in Staffordshire. The village stands near a lake of about 25 acres, the source of the river Tern, 1½ mile S by W of Whitmore station on the L. & N.W.R., and 6¼ miles SW of Newcastle-under-Lyme, and has a post office under Newcastle-under-Lyme; money order and telegraph office, Whitmore. The parish contains also the hamlets of Maer Heath and Maerway Lane. Acreage, 2750; population, 389. The parish council under the Local Government Act, 1894, consists of seven members. Maer Hall is the chief residence. Much of the land was wild moor, but has been enclosed and partly planted. Sandstone, for rough building, is quarried. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £115 with residence. The church was mainly rebuilt in 1610 and restored in 1880, and contains an altar-tomb of 1604 for Sir John Bowyer and his wife. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Maer St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Newcastle-under-Lyme|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Maer from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Maer (St. Peter))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Maer are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: