Leigh, a parish in Staffordshire, on the river Biythe, 5¼miles WNW of Uttoxeter. It contains the hamlets of Church Leigh, Lower Leigh, Upper Leigh, Dodsleigh, Painley Hill, Middleton Green, Lower Nobut, Upper Nobut, andWithington, and the township of Field, and has a station on the North Staffordshire railway, and a post office under Stoke-upon-Trent; money order office, Tean; telegraph office at the railway station. Acreage, 7105; population, 960. Much of the land is in pasture. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield; gross value, £566 with residence. Patron, Lord Bagot. The church, excepting the tower, was -rebuilt in 1846, is cruciform, with central embattled tower, and contains an altar-tomb of 1523 to Sir John and Lady Aston. There are Primitive Methodist chapels at Pole and Middleton Green.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Leigh All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Uttoxeter|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Leigh from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Leigh (All Saints))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online:
- Staffordshire Advertiser
- Tamworth Herald
- Lichfield Mercury
- Staffordshire Sentinel
- Wolverhampton Chronicle and Staffordshire Advertiser
Villages, Hamlets, &cChurch Leigh
Dodsley or Dodsleigh
Lower and Upper Nobut