Knutton, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Wolstanton parish, Staffordshire. The village stands 1 mile NW of Newcastle-under-Lyme, and has a post and money order office under Newcastle-under-Lyme; telegraph office, Newcastle-under-Lyme. The township includes also the greater part of Silverdale village and Knutton Heath, both included in Silverdale ecclesiastical parish. Coal and ironstone are extensively mined, and there are ironworks. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1875; population, 1621. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; net value,, £200 with residence. The church was built in 1874, and is in the Early Decorated style. There are Wesleyan, Primitive, and Free Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Wolstanton and Burslem|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Knutton from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Knutton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: