Kingston or Kingstone, Staffordshire
Kingston or Kingstone, a village and a parish in Staffordshire. The village stands 1½ mile S of Griudley station on the Stafford and Nottingham branch of the G.N.R., and 4¼ miles SW by S of Uttoxeter. The parish extends to the river Biythe, and includes the hamlet of Biythe Bridge. It has a post office under Stafford; money order and telegraph office, Uttoxeter. Acreage, 2037; population, 252. The manor belongs to the Earl of Shrewsbury and Talbot. The living is united to the rectory of Gratwich in the diocese of Lichfield. Patron, the Earl of Shrewsbury and Talbofc The church wasr rebuilt in 1861, and is in the Early English style. There 19 a Primitive Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Uttoxeter|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kingston or Kingstone from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Kingstone)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Kingston or Kingstone are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online:
- Staffordshire Advertiser
- Tamworth Herald
- Lichfield Mercury
- Staffordshire Sentinel
- Wolverhampton Chronicle and Staffordshire Advertiser