Kingsley, a village and a parish in Staffordshire. The village occupies a gentle eminence 1 mile W of FroghaU station on the North Staffordshire railway, and 3 miles NNE of Cheadle. It has a post and money order office under Stoke-upon-Trent; telegraph office, Froghall railway station. There is a temperance hall. The parish contains also the township of Whiston. Acreage, 4821; population of the civil parish, 1936; of the ecclesiastical, 1587. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £192 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1821, and a new chancel built in 1886. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. The parish council consists of nine members.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Kingsley St. Werburgh|
|Poor Law union||Cheadle|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kingsley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Kingsley (St. Werburgh))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Kingsley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online:
- Staffordshire Advertiser
- Tamworth Herald
- Lichfield Mercury
- Staffordshire Sentinel
- Wolverhampton Chronicle and Staffordshire Advertiser
Villages, Hamlets, &cFroghall