Kings Bromley, Staffordshire
King's Bromley, a village and a parish in Staffordshire, on the river Trent, 2½ miles E of Armitage station on the Trent Valley branch of the L. & N.W.R., 5½ ESE of Rugeley, and 5½ N of Lichfield. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office under Liehfield. Acreage, 3477; population, 560. The manor belonged in Saxon times to Earl Leofric, after the Conquest to the Crown, and was granted by Henry II. to the Corbett family, and is now in the possession of the Lane family. Bromley Manor and Eastfields are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Liehfield; net value, £260 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Liehfield. The church is chiefly Perpendicular, and has a square tower, which was restored in 1890, and some memorial windows. There are almshouses and a Primitive Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||King's Bromley All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Lichfield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kings Bromley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Bromley, King's (All Saints))
- Staffordshire and Warwickshire, Past and Present, 1884
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Kings Bromley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: