Keele, a village and a parish in Staffordshire. The village stands 2½ miles W by S of Newcastle-under-Lyme, and has a station on the North Staffordshire railway, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Newcastle (Staffordshire). The parish comprises 2613 acres; population of the civil parish, 1090; of the ecclesiastical, 504. The manor, with Keele Hall, has belonged to the Sneyd family from the time of Edward III. The old Elizabethan mansion was rebuilt in 1855. The inhabitants are employed chiefly in collieries, ironstone mines, and smelting furnaces. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield; gross value, £248 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1868, is in the-Decorated style, and has a tower with spire.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Keele St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Newcastle-under-Lyme|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Keele from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Keele (St. Michael))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Keele are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: