Ingestre, a parish in Staffordshire, on the river Trent and the Grand Trunk Canal, 4 miles E by N of Stafford, with a station on. The G.N.R. It has a post office under Stafford; money order office, Weston; telegraph office, Ingestre railway station. Acreage, 879; population, 192. The manor belonged to the De Multons, passed in the time of Edward III. to the Chetwynds, and in the 18th century by marriage to the Earls Talbot, one of whom in 1858 became also Earl of Shrewsbury. Ingestre Hall, the seat of the Earl of Shrewsbury and Talbot, was almost entirely destroyed by fire in 1882, but was rebuilt in the original Jacobean style. A bridge over the Trent connects Ingestre with Weston parish. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £340 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Shrewsbury and Talbot. The church was rebuilt in 1676, and is a small but handsome building in the Italian style, with a balustraded square tower; it contains monuments of the Chetwynds and the Talbots.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ingestrie St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Stafford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ingestre from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Ingestrie, or Ingestrk (St. Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Ingestre are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: