Horninglow, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Burton-upon-Trent parish and borough, Staffordshire. The village stands on a rising ground, near the Grand Trunk Canal, 2 miles NW of Burton-upon-Trent, commands a view of the Trent Valley, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Burton-upon-Trent. The township includes also the hamlets of Outwood and Whetmore. Acreage, 2198; population of the civil parish, 15, 376; of the ecclesiastical, 8600. The Burton-upon-Trent Workhouse is situated here. The manor belongs to the Marquis of Anglesey. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1867 from the parish of Holy Trinity, Burton. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; gross value, £302. The church was built in 1865. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Burton upon Trent|
|Poor Law union||Burton-upon-Trent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Horninglow from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Horninglow)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: