Hopton and Coton, Staffordshire
Hopton and Coton, two townships in Staffordshire, 2½ and 1½ mile NE of Stafford, with a post office under Stafford; money order and telegraph office, Stafford. Acreage of both, 3542; population, 614. Hopton Heath, now enclosed, was the scene of a severe action in 1643 between the Royalists, under the Earl of Northampton, and the Parliamentarians, in which the latter were defeated. There is a small chapel. Coton Hill Asylum is situated here.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: