Hixon, a village and an ecclesiastical parish in Colwicb and Stowe parishes, Staffordshire, adjacent to the river Trent, 6 miles E of Stafford. The village has a station on the-North Staffordshire railway, and a post and money order office under Stafford; telegraph office. Great Haywood. The parish was constituted in 1848. Population, 476. The-living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £261 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The" church is modern. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Stafford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hixon from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Hixon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: