Hints, a village and a parish in Staffordshire. The village stands on Watling Street, and on the river Bourne, 4 miles WSW of Tamworth, and was anciently known as Hendon, signifying " old town." Post town, Tamworth. The parish comprises 1889 acres; population, 238. Hints Hall is the chief residence. A large tumulus, supposed to be Roman, is near the church; a pig of lead, weighing 150 Ibs., and having a Roman inscription, was found in 1792 on Hints Common, and an old priory was once at Canwell. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £200 with residence. The church was built in 1883, on the site of an ancient church, and contains monuments of the Floyers and the Lawleys. Hurwick, a hamlet in Podington parish. Beds, 3 miles NNW from Harold. Hinwick House and Hinwick Hall are handsome mansions.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hints St. Bartholomew|
|Poor Law union||Tamworth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hints from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hints (St. Bartholomew))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Hints are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: