Himley, a village and a parish in Staffordshire, 3 miles NNW of Brierley Hill station on the G.W.R., and 4 W by N of Dudley. There is a post and telegraph office under Dudley; money order office, Wall Heath. Acreage, 1221; population, 304. The manor, with Himley Hall, belongs to the Earl of Dudley. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield; gross value, £260 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Dudley. The church was built in 1764, and thoroughly restored in 1893-94.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Himley St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Seisdon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Himley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Himley (St. Michael))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Himley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: