Hilderstone, a village and an ecclesiastical parish in Stone parish, Staffordshire. The village stands 3½ miles N of Sandon station on the North Staffordshire railway, and 4 ENE of Stone, and has a post and money order office under Stone; telegraph office, Stone. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1840. Population, 355. Hilderstone Hall is the chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield, and the gross value is £108 with residence. The church was built in 1833. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Stone|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hilderstone from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hilderstone)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Hilderstone are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: