Alvanley, a village, a township, and a parish in Cheshire, near Delamere Forest, 1½ mile S of Helsby station on the L. & N.W. and Birkenhead railways, and 3 miles SSW of Frodsham, with a post office under Warrington; money order and telegraph office, Helsby. Acreage, 1513; population, 328. The manor belonged for many generations to the Arderne or Arden family, and gave them the title of Baron. The title became extinct in 1857. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester; value, £141 with gift from the Patron, the Earl of Haddington, of;;£105. The church was built in 1860 near the site of a chapel erected in the reign of Henry VI.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Runcorn|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Alvanley from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Alvanley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.