Haughton, a parish in Staffordshire, 4 miles SW by W of Stafford. It has a station on the Shropshire Union branch of the L. & N.W.R., and a post and money order office under Stafford; telegraph office, Gnosall. Acreage, 3119; population of the civil parish, 516; of the ecclesiastical, 439. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £320 with residence. The church is ancient, part of it being of the 13th century. It consists of chancel, N or Cranmer chapel, nave, porch, and embattled tower, built by Nicholas Cranmer, rector, who died in 1520. The church was partly rebuilt and completely restored in 1887. There is an ancient, half-timbered hall of Henry VIIL date, which has been perfectly restored.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Haughton St. Giles|
|Poor Law union||Stafford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Haughton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Haughton (St. Giles))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Haughton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: