Harlaston or Harleston, Staffordshire
Harlaston or Harleston, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Staffordshire, on the river Mease, near the boundary with Derbyshire, 1 mile ENE of Elford and Haselour station on the M.R., and 4 miles N of Tamworth. There is a post office under Tamworth; money order and telegraph office, Elford. Acreage of township, 1524; population, 241. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1843. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield; value, £390. The church consists of nave, south porch, and an llth century Norman tower, and contains some ancient monuments.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Clifton Campville|
|Poor Law union||Tamworth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Harlaston or Harleston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Harleston)
- Staffordshire and Warwickshire, Past and Present, 1884
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: