Harborne, formerly a village and a parish in Staffordshire, now included within the county borough of Birmingham. The village stands near the boundaries with Worcestershire and Warwickshire, 3 miles SW of Birmingham, of which it is a suburb, and it is the terminus of a branch of the L.&N.W.R. from Birmingham. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Birmingham. The Harborne and Edg-baston Institute, opened in 1879, consists of reading-room, library, lecture hall, and class-rooms. The Harborne Masonic Hall was erected in 1880. There are wrench and hammer works; spectacle making and the manufacture of steel and bricks are carried on. The parish includes also the hamlet of Smethwick. Acreage, 3420; population, 44, 105. The manor belongs to the Marquis of Anglesey. Much of* the land is occupied in market gardening. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; value. £430. Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church of Sb Peter is ancient, and was rebuilt, with the exception of the tower, in 1867. Population, 2887. Harborne Heath was constituted a separate ecclesiastical parish in 1858; population, 5048. The living is a vicarage .in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £260. The church of St John the Baptist was erected in 1858. The ecclesiastical parish of North Harborne was constituted in 1842; population, 11, 219. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £200. Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. Holy Trinity Church was erected in 1838 and enlarged in 1889. There are three ecclesiastical parishes in Smethwick. There is a Roman Catholic chapel and monastery, Baptist and Wes-leyan chapels, and almshouses.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Harborne St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Kings-Norton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Harborne from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Harborne, or Harbourn (St. Peter))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Harborne are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online:
- Staffordshire Advertiser
- Tamworth Herald
- Lichfield Mercury
- Staffordshire Sentinel
- Wolverhampton Chronicle and Staffordshire Advertiser